KEE currently has a short wait list
KEE staff are connected with many Winnipeg businesses and are often asked for new staff referrals. Clients who are reliable, follow instructions, and present themselves in a positive manner are given recommendations to employers when opportunities arise.
This assignment is a way for us to act in good faith that we are recommending someone who can follow instructions and present themselves in a friendly manner.
PURPOSE: to get a feel if clients are implementing the content of the KEE Program by seeing how they are presenting themselves when applying and following-up via email.
RESULT: clients will be given constructive feedback to help ensure they secure employment quickly.
PLEASE NOTE: Despite this being a fictional company, please treat this as though it were a real opportunity.
This assignment is due within 24 hours of receiving this assignment.
Fictional Business: Beck’s Big Box Store & Grille (downtown Winnipeg)
Hiring: cashiers, security staff, warehouse workers, forklift drivers, stocking staff, salespeople, delivery staff, website builders, accountants, receptionists, mail room workers, customer service staff, work from home phone support, assemblers, purchasing agents, inventory clerks, management, janitors, on-site health care aides, cooks, prep-cooks, servers, bartenders, general labour positions, and building maintenance staff.
1. Compose an email to Chantel Khelmet who works in Human Resources at Beck’s Big Box Store & Grille. Her email is email@example.com
2. Attach a PDF of your resume (no other files will be accepted). If you do not know how to make a PDF out of a DOC file, simply click “File”, “Save As…” and then choose “PDF”. Ensure you name the file appropriately like “Dave McGill Resume”. You can also do a Google search for easy ways to do this on your device/software.
3. Using the Elevator Pitch handout in your KEE Guidebook, write an Elevator Pitch style email with a short introduction about yourself, expressing what position you are interested in and why you’d be a great candidate for this job. Do not send a cover letter. This should be no longer than a few paragraphs in length.
4. Send the email (you will receive feedback via email within three business days).
This second half of the assignment is due one week after sending in Part One.
1. Using the same information from Part One, compose a follow-up via email exactly one week after you first applied. Tip: It's a good idea to include the original email you sent, you can do this by finding it in your "Sent" email folder and clicking "reply", please ensure it's going to Chantel Khelmet and not just to your email address.
2. With the help of the “How to Follow-Up” handout in the guidebook and the Step By Step to Employment Video Module 8 “How to Follow-up”, write a follow-up email to Chantel Khelmet.
3. Send the email (you will receive feedback within three business days).
If you have any questions regarding any part of this assignment, please email Lyle at firstname.lastname@example.org